First Prenatal appt. for baby #2

It finally is starting to seem real. It's hard when you can't feel the baby move, because then you're not really aware of the little one..........you're just sick all the time. It was such a joy and relief to see the heartbeat! With Hannah I wasn't concerned about it, but this time I was a little more anxious. And I was finally able to be told if I was a high risk pregnancy or not. The answer was a definite yes. They will be putting me on a regular dose of antibiotics, through out the whole pregnancy. First, I just need to get a bladder infection so they can do a culture and see what will work the best. Sadly, the safest antibiotic, Macrobid, will not be an option. They will be seeing me more often then regular, and a bonus, I will receive more ultrasounds. When I told the doctor of my previous pregnancy, the doctor was a little blown away and was very surprised that Hannah was carried to full term. For those who have not heard of my last pregnancy, here's kind of what happened:

First visit at 9 weeks I went in, everything looked great, only I had a bladder infection and was put on Macrobid to clear it. Everything was going fine until about 20 weeks, I started getting a very painful backache and had a hard time concentrating in school, not to mention sleeping. I didn't call the doctor right away because I had an appointment in just a few days. We went in at 21 weeks and found out it was a girl! And then when I mentioned the backache, the doctor ordered some blood work and found I was very sick, with a sever bladder infection. I was put on another round of Macrobid and was given an antibiotic shot that would start working right away.
I was doing great until about 25 weeks, when I started getting another back ache and called the doctor right away. The nurse didn't believe me, but when I insisted, she had me come in and give a urine sample.........it turned out I was right. I was put on Macrobid for the third time. Three days later, (which was a Sunday) we called the doctor because I was in excruciating pain, which ibuprofen couldn't numb, had a high fever, chills, and was vomiting. I was omitted to the same day care unit and was given a round of antibiotics which I had to come back for for the next 7 days. It wasn't much fun because I had to keep the IV needle in my arm for the full week, which meant no showers and Dan had to wash my hair. This was all during finals week and I was stressed to the max. But I was able to graduate with my AS at the end of the week. I called the doctors office and insisted that they test me to be sure that it had cleared up, but the nurse said that it was to soon to tell.
At 28 weeks, Dan and I were visiting my family for a few days and I woke up one morning and I felt like something wasn't right. I was seeing dots and was very little headed. We went to the hospital and I was omitted. They found that I my white blood count was up and that I had an infection. While I was in the hospital my heart started have spasmisms (that's the best way I know how to describe it), and they couldn't figure out why. After watching me for several hours they decided to release me so I go travel home and see my own doctor. Luckily I had an appointment 2 days later. I went in but they didn't really do anything, and said I was probably fine. I just wasn't feeling right. So at 29 weeks I asked Dan if he would give me a priesthood blessing. In the blessing I was told that there was more I would have to go through with the pregnancy but that the Lord would be there to comfort me.
At 31 weeks, I was resting because I had slightly elevated blood pressure and was told to take it easy. Luckily I had finished with work and was able to rest. One day, I was feeling especially awful and was having sharp pain under my right rib. I had a fever and felt short of breath. I asked Dan to call the doctor for me, and they said to go straight to the hospital because it could be a blood clot in the lung. When we got there, they drew some blood and found out I had a high white blood count, again. They also found out I had a heart murmur, this was the first time it had been detected. The doctor saw on the baby monitor that I was having irritable contractions and decided to check me. I was 3 cm dilated and 80% effaced. The doctor had a shot of surfactant given to help mature the baby's lungs, some medicine to stop the contractions and an x-ray on my lung to check for a clot. I could feel the contractions coming more regularly and they were becoming stronger. The x-ray came back negative, so he guessed that it could be appendicitis. If it was appendicitis, then they would have to deliver the baby if she didn't come on her own. We had to be moved to a bigger hospital in Idaho Falls because the Rexburg NICU could only take care of babies that were at least 32 weeks along......we just barely missed the cut off. I was able take an ambulance ride down to I.F. They were certain she was going come. They had a birthing packet ready and they introduced us to the whole NICU staff. With the 24 hours that followed, they got the contractions stopped and the pain on my side went away. During my 3rd day at the hospital, I had another heart spasmism and they couldn't pick it up on the normal monitor, so I was given a heart ultra sounds. They couldn't see anything and knew the best way to find out what the problem was was to put me on a portable 24/7 special heart monitor, called The King of Hearts. I was then put on bed rest until 37 weeks and had to where the heart monitor for 3 weeks after that ( they were never able to find the problem.) I was not given any medication to take while I was at home to prevent preterm labor because of the heart thing. I guess the medicine could have added to the problem.
At about 36 weeks, I had another kidney infection that took only 24 hours to land me in the hospital again. They only kept me in long enough get me pumped full of fluids and antibiotics. And then luckily 3 weeks later I was finally able to deliver Hannah and have the whole experience over with! I think the best blessing through it all was that I was able to look back on the preisthood blessing and find comfort. I could feel our Savior's presence through everything. I was able to feel his love and comfort. And am so thankful for the gospel and the strength that it is to us during our trials. I love the Lord and feel so blessed that I get to experience a small amount of the love he has for us by being a parent myself.

It's so hard not to be a little frightened, I'm just glad that I have a doctor that is going to monitor me very closely and do everything in her power to get me to full term(and hopefully avoid anymore infections.) Anyways, this post has gone on long enough! We love you all and most definitely wouldn't mind if you kept us in your prayers.

Comments

  1. Holy cow Katy, that is a ton to go through with Hannah. You are such a trooper. Hopefully this pregnancy will go a whole lot smoother. I've heard stories of lots of people having easy pregnancies after a difficult one so hopefully you will be one of those that does. We'll keep you in our prayers and if you ever need to stop watching Ryan just let us know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Meagan! I;m hoping everything will go well, and I hope that I can be here to watch Ryan for as long as you need me too. Thank you so much for the prayers!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment