Removing Hannah's Stitches

Yesterday Hannah had her stitches removed.  You would think it would be simple and easy enough, right?  Surely it wouldn't be as bad as getting them in.  I followed the Dr. orders and returned on Saturday.  And an Urgent Care on a Saturday is a busy day!  We waited in the waiting room for over and hour. Then spent another hour waiting in the patient room.  The Dr. was a young guy, who I'm pretty sure knew nothing about kids and was not happy when Hannah starting freaking out when he pulled on her stitches with the tweezers and then cut her lip with the scissors instead of the stitches.  She freaked out and would not calm down and started to squirm.  I was holding Charlie, who was very sad at this point too.  After trying to get the stitches, the Dr. said we should let her calm down first. The nurse who he had brought in to help did not do a good job of holding her arms.  It was just a disaster.  So we waited and waited, while Hannah cried.  Finally he came back in and she started screaming when she saw him.  So finally I asked if there was a way to wrap her arms up so we could just get the whole ordeal over with.  So they brought in the thing and strapped her into it.  She was NOT a happy camper.  She screamed and cried but we got the stitches out in less then 5 min.  Maybe the Dr. and nurses thought I was mean to suggest strapping her down but I did not want to keep sitting there and having the whole experience last longer than it had too.  The Dr. was VERY glad once it was all over and was very adamant that if we had and questions or concerns to follow up with her Pediatrician.  Hey,  I would have taken her to her Pediatrician if they had answered their phones!  Either way it was a terrible experience that ended up being more traumatizing then getting the stitches put in thanks to the Dr. who was rude and had no empathy.  I wish we could have gotten the same Dr. that we had who put them in.  I really liked her and so did Hannah.  She was very encouraging and the crying was pretty minimal, where after getting the stitches out it took me a good 20-30 min to calm Hannah down. Overall I spent all morning and good part my afternoon in an urgent care.  I left feeling drained and not wanting to ever go back there.

Comments

  1. Nick removed Tyler's stitches humself. Lots less stress! So sorry it was such a traumatic experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish doctors wouldn't act that. There is no reason that they have to be mean, especially to little kids. Sorry that was so rough.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment