Wainscotting

When we began our house hunt we saw homes that had beautiful wainscotting in the dining and I was hooked.  I was very happy when this home had a dinning room that was just waiting to be played with.  Dan would listen but I could tell he was not enthusiastic about the idea of the project. But one Saturday while we were at Home Depot pricing out paint for our home, I talked him into just testing our what I had in mind.  So we purchased our 5' of molding, and a miter box.  Once we did that first box, Dan became excited at it became our 3 day weekend project.  We decided while we were painting the lower half of the wall, to go a head and paint the whole room.  Here's our journey:

Before pic

Before.  I was not digging the dark brown.

Dan using the nail gun to nail the frames to the wall. Measuring out the sizes of each box was a bit challenging but turned out just fine.


After Dan used the nail gun, I went through and used a nail punch to flatten out the surfaces of the frame.

We finished the wainscotting!


On Monday, I went through and used wood putty to fill in holes.

Up close picture of the wainscotting.



Then we laid out several drop clothes to cover the carpet.

I washed all the walls.

Dan spackled all the wall.

We then had to add primer to the walls.



All primed and ready to be painted.

Taping the walls and ceilings.  We did a lot of taping.



Almost done with the top half of the wall.


I love how it turned out.  The room looks so much more spacy and not as dark and closed in. I am sorry I do not have a better picture.  I'll do updates on the room as we make a few more changes, like the light fixture and curtains.  Maybe a cherry dining set at some point.

Comments

  1. I can't tell you how much I love this!!! I'm also super jealous that you have a dining room you can make so lovely! North Carolina has much prettier homes than Texas and Colorado. It makes me want to move back even more! You did a fabulous job and I love the color too--what paint color is it? You will have to help me do the same if I ever have a dining room that I can decorate again!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment