Joy In the Journey

There's a sister in my ward who has been very healthy her whole life, she loves to bike and is very active.  In August of this year while on the way home from a family vacation she developed a cough.  The cough would not go away.  Towards the end of September she could hardly breath and was afraid she would not make it through the night.  She went to her doctor and they didn't know what was going on.  She went to the ER after being put on antibiotics because she was still declining.

While at the ER  she still continued to decline and to still stump the doctors and was transferred to another hospital where she was placed in the ICU.  After being on oxygen for over a week she improved, she improved enough that they were able to sedate her and drain the fluid from her lungs and to send it to be tested.

The results of the testing was devastating.  She was diagnosed with Stage 4 cancer, after much testing they finally found it was colon cancer and that she is in the very last stages.  She was told she has a month left.  This is a mom who home schools 3 of her 4 children. Her oldest is a sophomore in high school.  Her youngest is 7 years old. Her husband is the High Priest Group Leader for our ward and works 2 jobs to provide for his family.

My heart is broken.  It has hit me really hard and made me realize how quickly life changes.  Last night was our RS activity.  The activity was on find joy in the journey.  I think it really hit home for all of the sisters.  We are all grieving for this family we have know for years. We are grieving for how unfair it seems.  We're grieving for certainty because it has made us feel as though everything can be taken away in a heart beat, your life can change.

My greatest joy comes from the gospel, my family and friends.  Everything material I own could go away and I would be left with what matters the most to me.  The times I have been the happiest have been while serving the Lord in my church callings and while serving his children(this includes being a wife and mom.)  The moments I look back on are ones with Dan and I dating, our wedding day, the birth of our children, the peace while holding a small child in my arms as they look up at me as though I'm their world, the sweet little girl who tells me I'm the most awesome Mommy in the whole world, the moment I snuggle with my little boy, the moments Dan and I are working on a project together, the moment I was able to to give and receive comfort from a dear friend.  All these moments are what make up the life I want.  I know I get caught up in the day to day living and forget to see the joy at times.  But what more could I wish for??  I have what matters.  I have my Savior's love and grace.  I have a beautiful family that is growing and teaches me daily.

Life is full of hardships, some are so unimaginable that we can not dwell on them.  Life is also full of beauty, beauty that is all around us.  I am so grateful for what I have been blessed far beyond what I deserve.  I am will always be eternally grateful for my family and the gospel.  I'm sorry for the such deep thoughts, it just helps to alleviate all these pent up emotions. 

Comments