Be Gentle

I've been pretty hard on myself lately.  I've been upset at myself for not replying to emails, for not making phone calls, or returning phone calls.  I've been upset for not being productive most days.  I've been upset at myself for not serving outside my family more. I've been pretty harsh on myself and feeling like I should be doing so much more. A few days ago the Spirit whispered, "Be gentle with yourself."

As I've pondered these words I've been thinking about how it applies to us as humans in general.  So not only "be gentle with yourself," but " be gentle with others."   I think especially as women we tend to see our shortcomings more than anyone else.  We need to look for the good and give ourselves permission to be human and make mistakes.  As I began to do this I have been happier and have come to realize at the end of the day I'm doing the most good and important things just by bring here raising these 4 kids.  So what if I have 5-10 min to myself and all I want to do is lay my bed with some chocolate and read a book or watch a movie instead of respond to emails and phone calls.  It's OK to give myself a few minutes to recooperate from the constant needs of others.  I'm not being selfish, I'm just taking care of myself because that's all I can do a lot of the time.  There will be time for all those things in the future.  It's also taught me to give others the benefit of the doubt!  They have a lot going on, probably a lot I don't know about, they are doing what's important for them. So for now I'm going to " be gentle with myself" and enjoy the journey.


Comments