Today's Dr. Visit

So today we went into the doctor's office. I was super nervous and didn't get much sleep the night before due to contractions(yep they are still coming!) Once we got there I became less nervous. My blood pressure was slightly elevated and I had lost two pounds from the previous visit 10 days prior. At that point I was becoming a little nervous again. The Dr. came in and did the Beta-strep test, which they usually wait until week 36 but decided it would be advantageous to do it a little soon just in case. He checked my cervix and said it had softened and 'dilated' if that's what you would call it to about the size of a straw (so I'm not to 1 cm yet.) I was very relieved but also a little exasperated! I was mostly just exasperated that it's been so uncomfortable the last week with so little dilation but hopefully it will make for an easy labor and delivery (the uterine muscles must be trained to run a pretty good marathon by now :) I am glad though that it doesn't look like she'll be coming this week. The Dr. was so nice, he sat down and actually spent a good amount of time talking to us. He helped to calm any fears and helped to explain that I have what's called an irritable uterus so I will probably have this happen with every pregnancy. He was so patient and I knew that he was the one I wanted to see at the next visit. So we'll be going in for another appt. in 2 weeks! We'll see if she arrives before then or not.

Comments

  1. I'm glad that everything looks good. I too have an irritable uterus and contractions seem to start earlier with each pregnancy. So annoying! Sorry you have to deal with that. Take care of yourself and get some rest and know that soon you will be holding your beautiful, healthy daughter in your arms!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie,
    Sorry to hear you've been having preterm labor contractions...I have an irritable uterus also. It helps to drink lots of water (dehydration makes em worse), laying down slows mine down sometimes. With Jonathan's pregnancy they had trouble slowing them down at the hospital and so they put me on Niphedapine (a med used for heart attack patients which smooths muscle tissue).
    Also, I had more trouble when I was tired (if I pushed myself too hard) and if I got emotional.
    We are very excited for you and Dan. Hannah will have a sister soon!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment