Two years ago on October 14th



Maybe because Bella's birth is still so fresh in my mind that I couldn't help thinking of the day Hannah was born. It started out like any other Tuesday except I had a doctors appointment that morning. I got up, got ready for the day and then had some honey bunches of oats for breakfast. I was excited because I had been having contractions for several hours 2 days prior. I went in and waited for my name to be called. I remember when they weighed me, I was so happy because I had finally gain 25 lbs. exactly. The nurse took my blood pressure and discovered is was very high. It had been slowly getting higher and higher the last 2 appointments. The doctor came in and checked me to find I was dilated to 5 cm, I remember thinking WOW! And the surprise in the doctor's voice. He said they would keep me for a while and have me rest and check my blood pressure every 15 min. to see if it would go down and scheduled an induction for the next morning. 45 min later after a few tests, my blood pressure not going down, and having a talk with the other office doctor who was the one on call at labor and delivery he told me to go and pick up my husband(Dan was at work, he had just landed the job as a teller at Wells Fargo) and head straight over to the hospital. I remember calling Dan and in a very excited voice asking him if he was ready to have a baby and him asking if it was really time, followed by me telling him about the doctors visit.
We arrived and got checked in a little after 1 pm. After seeing that my blood pressure had spiked even more and was at a very dangerous level, he put me on magnesium sulfate to bring it down. He broke my water and said after my blood pressure came down a little they would start the pitcon. Well about 2 hours later the contractions were not consistent but were getting uncomfortable so i decided to ask for an epidural. They said a test was needed to see how fast i would bleed( because of the high blood pressure) would be needed before they could give me the epidural and then they would start the pitcon. The nurse said to empty my bladder after they did the tests because the anesthesiologist would be in shortly after. Well, making it back to that bed was the hardest thing I had to do! The contractions all of a sudden were right on top of each other and Dan had to practically drag me to the bed. I started to scream, i was in so much pain. The nurse came in to find the baby was right there and I was 9 1/2 cm and they were NOT ready yet. From that point all I remember was the excruciating pain and her telling me to breath, followed by 'don't push, don't push' and me thinking IS SHE SERIOUS! Then a man showed up and had some conversation with Dan which was followed by a sting on my back and then all the pain going away. And then finally the doctor showing up in his gym clothes and telling me to finally push. He used the vacuum to help ease her way into the world. Then out came this baby covered completely in white goo............there was no tears or laughter, just complete silence. Dan and I were both in shock and awe that I had just given birth to our first child just 3 hours after being at the hospital......nothing could have prepared us for that moment. We fell in love instantly. Even two years later that love has not wavered it's just gotten stronger because now we know that little one inside and out.

Comments