The Dream of a 15 yr old

So when I was 15 I had this dream. I wanted to design wedding dresses and other formal wear. Maybe even own a store where I would sell these dresses and maybe flowers and wedding invitations. I had this big idea of what I wanted to do. I would spend hours looking at beautifully modest, ldsprom , eternity and other modest dress websites. I was pretty excited about it and even went so far as to print out several designs i loved and what I loved about them. One day I found this gorgeous dress....................... and fell in love :)




Look familiar? Well here's the reason why........








It was my wedding dress!

So I obviously didn't become a wedding dress designer but I did get the only dress that I still fall in love with every time I see it. And I got to wear it on the day of my wedding the best day of my life.
So the reason I made this post is because I have a dilemma. We are moving and we are downsizing and I still have the dress. So my choices are, try to sell it for a fraction of what it's worth or keep it and have it reserved and then store it. I've already worn the dress on the day it was meant for and I don't even know if my daughters will every want to use it but then again it was a dress I fell in love with long before now and the day I wore that dress was the most memorable day(So I guess it comes down to sentimentality). What do you think (all my family and friends)? I have about 4 weeks to decide because by then I need to either sell it or pack it away to make the move with us into the next phase of our lives.

Comments

  1. KEEP IT!!! I am a big fan of getting rid of stuff, but wedding dresses are something special. My friend made over her wedding dress for her daughter's baptism (to wear after the baptism, not during). So, there's an idea to keep it, yet make it useful as well. Or could you use it as a temple dress? My Mom made mine so that I could. Of course, I...ahem..outgrew the thing. Anyway, just a few ideas. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Jodi--keep it. It may be special to one of your daughters one day but if you get rid of it, you will never know. I wore my mother's wedding dress (with a remodeled neck line) and treasure it. There is a place in Provo that does preserve wedding dresses and sometimes has coupons (on Ninth East) I believe.
    If you choose to sell it, you do have pictures of it.
    Thank you Dan for tickets to the "expensive" theater. We will miss you, Katy and Dan... All ready sad about it. I am happy you will be close to family and doing what is right for your family. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is hard to know. I remember as a teenager trying on my mom's wedding dress one night and thinking that was pretty neat (and being impressed by how skinny she was when she got married!). We rented our dress, so I've never had to make this decision. I have wished a couple of times that I had it to get out and look at or try on, but, of course, it wouldn't fit me anymore. I guess I don't have any advice other than good luck and either way will have its pros and cons so there is no "right" or "wrong" decision.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep. If it won't fit in your moving stuff, mail it to NC. KEEP!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know what's really funny, that was my dress that I looked at growing up that I always wanted to get married in! I ended up getting another one that was cheaper on sale for my wedding, but that was totally the one I grew up thinking I would get married in. So funny!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment