30 weeks

This last Monday I hit 30 weeks!  I had Dan take some pictures so I could share.  I've been measuring right on target the whole pregnancy and feel so huge!!!  Which is probably because I have always measured small!  This week has been pretty stressful as far as contractions and other things have gone.  Wednesday, I woke up and it hurt to walk and toward the end of the day I felt as though the baby was pressing down and was having some pretty painful contractions.  I was up on and off through out the night and called the my doctor in the morning and they had me come in.  She did a fetal fibronectin test which came back positive.  Let me explain what I understand about the test.  Fibronectin is a protein that is secreted through the cervix as you get close to going in to labor.  The fFN test is to see if fibronectin is leaking through the cervix which COULD (not necessarily that you WILL) indicate that you are going to go into labor.  The test is more accurate if it comes back negative, rather then if it comes back positive.  If it comes back negative, you have a 1% chance of going into labor for the next 2 weeks.  If it comes back positive is increases your chances of going into labor and if you are having contractions and fibronectin is present you are a lot more likely to have cervical change.  If would like to know more you can check out : www.ffntest.com

So the knowledge I gained from going into the Dr. on Thursday was 1) the baby's head has dropped and my cervix has started to soften (it may of thinned but she wasn't going to be too invasive) and 2) I have a higher chance of going into labor because of the protein that is present. The Dr. just told me to take it easy (like that will happen :) and they will keep my treatment the same as in I will still just  be going in every 2 weeks.  No medicine or anything.  So that gives me some relief knowing that the Dr. isn't concerned but is also a little frustrating.  I am thinking about asking for a shot to mature this little guys lungs just to be on the safe side.  I am going to be prepared though just in case he does decide to come sometime in the next 2-3 weeks.  If we can make it to week 34 that would be the best case scenario for a preemie......which isn't that far off.  So here we go!!!

Comments

  1. Oh Katy, I wish I was back there and could come help you out. Please take care of yourself and get the help you need so that you can rest. I will pray that he stays put for at least a few more weeks. Sure love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Dan and Katy, With my third I was in much the same boat with an anxious little guy that was (big) head down and rearing to come. If I put in long days and anything emotionally upset me--the contractions were off and running. Please do take this seriously and make sure you are drinking plenty of water, sitting and laying on your left side during the day! We were told to be on "bed rest" as much as possible (with a four and two year old) and also be on "pelvic rest." I enjoyed reading Ina May Gaskins Guide to Childbirth. Maybe your local library has it? (Ina May is considered one of America's foremost Nurse Midwife who operates The Farm...a birthing clinic back east). We are praying for you and your little guy. Simplify. Remember, babies need relatively little--loving arms, mother's milk, diapers, and a few Onesies in the beginning. Also, (Our)Hannah has fond memories of Quiet Times when I was expecting and I would put on Birthing Affirmations or Rainbow Relaxation...she brought up a few weeks ago how relaxing and fun that was for her (and Bekah) to relax with me on the bed after lunch...Wish I could take your little ladies and let you rest, or journal, or scrapbook, or blog, or think, etc...God bless you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment