Thursday, August 26, 2010

A Bella Story

Isabella Nicole Clayton
6 lbs. 8 oz. 19 in.
Born 7:06 pm on August 25th.

Tuesday night before going to bed we prepared everything so that when we received the phone call from the hospital we could head in, no matter how early. Wednesday morning we woke up at 8:00 am and we had not heard from hospital. I decided to call and see where I was on the list. I was second but they had no beds available and said if I had not heard from them by Noon to give them another call. 12:30 pm, I still had not heard from them. I called and the nurse said they were cleaning up and preparing some rooms and that it wouldn't be any later than 2 pm. 2 pm came and I still had not heard from them. I decided to give them until 3 pm and then to call again. 2:30 pm we got the call saying they had a room available! We were very excited. I called my friend Kristi, who was so kind as to watch Hannah for us so Dan's mom could be there to see the birth. We arrived and got checked in at 3:15 pm. The nurse checked me and said I was 3 1/2 cm dilated, 90% effaced. My blood pressure was still elevated and the nurse mentioned that's why I was second on the list which was lucky because they had to reschedule several inductions for the next day. They decided to do some blood work and then the nurse said they would start the pitocin. After seeing that I was having contractions 2-3 min. apart all on my own she said she would talk to the doctor about just breaking my water and seeing if that would start things. So about 4:30 pm the doctor came in and broke my water. The nurse told me that if I planned to get an epidural I should get it the moment I had a hard time breathing through the contractions. About 5:15 pm, they started becoming difficult to breath through so I asked for the epidural. The anesthesiologist arrived around 5:45 and gave me the epidural. Receiving the epidural was almost as painful as the contractions by this point. At about 6:00 pm the epidural began to take effect and the nurse checked me to see that I had dilated to 5 1/2 cm and the baby had started to descend. The nurse said she would be back into check and see how things were going at 6:45 pm. At about 6:30 I started feeling pressure in my pelvic region and was debating rather to call the nurse or just wait until she came. Dan convinced me to call her and she came in to check and sure enough, I was ready to deliver a baby. So they started preparing everything and the Dr. came in with a a Resident (who had previously introduced himself) who would be delivering the baby. After pushing for about 15 min. a beautiful little girl was born. I received 2 stitches for what they called an "artificial" tare. It was such a blessing that I was induced because it went so fast. I am so thankful to the Lord for his many blessings and for watching over both Bella and I.

Monday, August 16, 2010

A date to look forward to!!!

So the induction date has been set! We will go in sometime in the morning Wednesday, August 25th. They said it could be as early as 1:00 am or as late as 11:00 am. We are just excited to see the end in sight. But of course if she decided to come on her own, we wouldn't mind one bit!!!! So hopefully some more news to follow in the next week!!!

Sunday, August 15, 2010

2 weeks later.

So tomorrow will mark two weeks since we went into labor and delivery. This little girl has still not come. Tomorrow we go in for our 38 week Dr. appt. I am going to ask when I can be induced. With my high blood pressure that I've been having I don't want any complications. With Hannah I ended up being induced at 39 weeks for high blood pressure and was put on Magnesium Sulfate through the labor and for about 24 hours after she was delivered. I don't know if anyone has ever had to be put on it but it is NOT fun. You feel like you have the flu. I also don't want to end up having to have a c-section. They had me go in for a non stress test this last Friday and everything was fine. They also checked my amniotic fluid level. At this point about 16.7 cm is the highest. Around 10 cm they start keeping a close eye on you. Anything between 4-7 cm they become very worried. My AFL (amniotic fluid level) was at a 9.9 so I will have to redo the test tomorrow or Tuesday after my regular prenatal appt. And then i will have to have it repeated Thursday or Friday. They also keep emphasizing that I need to take an hour or two every day to count baby movements. It was really great because Friday evening after I had gone in for the NST, the Dr. actually called me to let me know that he would like me to have a NST done twice a week and to ask if i was counting baby movements and such. It was such a great feeling to know that the Dr. took the time out of his day to check on the results and then to call and discuss them with me. So we will see what tomorrow holds. I am really hoping we can get an induction scheduled next Tuesday. I will let you know what they say. But that's about it for now.

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Midnight on a Monday/Tuesday

So my last post was just Monday. I had consistent contractions starting in the late afternoon on Monday and they continued to get closer together until finally at 10 pm I called Dan at work and told him they had started becoming uncomfortable and they had been regular for several hours. He said he would have to wait at least 1 hour until he could close down. So while I waited I called our wonderful neighbor, Lisa. She is like the best neighbor and friend anyone could ask for (we are really sad that they are moving in just a few days.) She was going to watch Hannah for us for the evening. I got the hospital bag packed and then started my walking. They were becoming stronger as I walked and finally when Dan arrived after 11:30 pm, I was definitely ready to go. We arrived and got checked in at exactly 12:00 am (I know this because the computer updated while she was in the middle of checking us in.) They checked my cervix and i had dilated to 2+ cm and was more effaced from when I had been checked that morning. So they decided to check me again in an hour and see what would happen. At 1:30 am I had dilated to 4 cm, and started to have a bloody show. Alright! The Dr. decided to keep me because I was obviously in labor. They were very consistent and uncomfortable. An hour later I hadn't dilated any more so we began a walk around the halls, which was about 45 min. We got back and it was almost 4 am. She checked me again, still no progress. The contractions stayed about the same and hadn't gotten any stronger. She said she would call the doctor and that there was a good chance I would be sent home. She checked me one last time at 5:30 am and there was again NO progress. The nurse said that if I had been full term (we are only at 36 weeks) then they would have considered keeping things going. We were then sent home at 6 am. We were both exhausted and were very disappointed after spending hours talking about the arrival of a little girl which we are very excited about (Dan is just as, if not more, excited about having this little girl as I am.) Dan slept in until about 11 am. I wasn't able to get more than a solid two hours will all the discomfort of the contraction and how sore my body was. Plus Hannah demanded to be let out of her room at 10 am ( I had left some snacks for her in her room and honestly she had probably been up since 8:30 am.) We really hoped she would come yesterday. I was still having lots of bleeding and contractions. They just never were as consistent as the previous evening. I still have some pretty uncomfortable contractions but I don't want to go to labor and delivery just to be sent home again. So we will see how much longer she decides to stay in. I wouldn't mind as much if i wasn't so darn uncomfortable!!!!

Monday, August 2, 2010

Another update!

So this last week was our 3rd anniversary! We had a gift card to the Cheesecake Factory that we had been saving for several months. We were able to eat at the Cheesecake Factory on our honeymoon and both agreed it was our favorite out of all the fun places we had enjoyed. 3 years later, it is most definitely our favorite place to eat out at!!!!

Dan has been working a lot of doubles lately. It was to save up for the work he would miss while we were at the Clayton Family reunion but due to the baby situation we decided against going. In the end the money will be used for the time he takes off for when the baby comes! Hooray! We really miss him and are looking forward to spending more time with him.

As for me, we went in today for a Dr. appt. and were happy to discover that I have dilated to a +1 and am 65% effaced. A big change from the last Dr. appt. I went in not expecting much even though it has been pretty much 3 weeks of contractions and came out feeling a lot happier and optimistic to see that all the discomfort has been doing something! We look forward to seeing this little girl very soon. I find myself every once in a while becoming obsessed with labor but then take a step back and am able to relax about it. I am a little concerned about how fast this birth will go. With Hannah it was a pretty amazingly fast labor for a first pregnancy. The Dr. said it would a good idea to get to the hospital as soon as I could once my water broke, if there is blood or just strong contractions (and that is what gets me the most. How am I suppose to know that these contractions are the real thing when I've been having them for weeks and they have gotten pretty strong??) The day I had Hannah I had irregular contractions until it was time to push . Am I little worried? I think so :) I try to not let myself think of all these things, but of course you can't put them out of your mind completely.

Dan's mom will be joining us on August 10th! We are very excited to get to see her after 1 1/2 years! Part of me would like to wait until she's here to have the baby but the other half just wants to have this little girl! We'll see which side wins out.

Anyways, we love you all!! And hope soon to be able to making a posting full of pics and news of a new baby.